Braces for Adults
Why Braces Are Worth It for Adults
There are many reasons that braces for adults can be worth it. Perhaps the most important reason would be to correct a bad bite. Bad bites can contribute to the development of health issues such as earaches, chewing problems, headaches, bone erosion, chronic jaw pain, TMJ, face pain, and more. Braces are a great way to help maintain good health through prevention.
Another reason adults should consider braces are the cosmetic benefits. A straighter and more attractive smile promotes self-confidence and higher self-esteem. Doing it, for this reason, can be priceless at any age.
Options for Adult Braces
- Invisalign: Invisalign is a teeth-straightening system that uses clear, custom-fitted aligner trays to apply continual pressure on teeth. Because it is transparent, it is one of the most popular options for patients who want to be unobtrusive about their teeth straightening.
- Metal: The traditional metal braces makes use of high-grade stainless steel for brackets, wires, and rubber bands to guide the teeth into shifting into the correct position.
- Ceramic: Ceramic braces are similar to metal braces where brackets, wires, and rubber bands are used. The advantage of ceramic braces would be the white color that blends in with the teeth for a less obvious look.
The Timeframe for Adult Braces
The timeframe for adult braces varies depending on the patient’s specific bite issues and needs. Most adults need to wear braces for 12 to 24 months. A regular visit to Dr. Jennifer every 6 to 8 weeks is necessary for check-ups and adjustments.
Oral Hygiene with Braces
Oral hygiene when fitted with braces is essential, as it is easy for food particles to become trapped in the brackets and wires. During your appointment, Dr. Jennifer will explain effective brushing and flossing techniques based on which type of braces you choose.
Foods to Avoid with Braces
Certain foods can damage or dislodge brackets and wires. To avoid this, it’s best to avoid:
- Chewy foods like caramel
- Very hard foods like hard candy
- Very crunch foods such as popcorn
- Any food that you need to bite into, like apples
The Cost of Braces
The cost of braces varies based on the type, how long you will wear them, and other individual factors. Dr. Jennifer can work with you to come up with a financial plan that works for your budget. You can contact us anytime to get started.